Wednesday, October 3, 2018

DNA extraction

The 7-8th graders had a fun lab today... DNA extraction! We smashed strawberries to break down the cells, then added salt and soap, then layered it with icy cold rubbing alcohol and the DNA came out of suspension in thin, white strands. Everyone got it to work! (Probably because the alcohol was so cold; I stuck it in the freezer a few days ago so it'd be super cold.)

After that we tried bananas (not as much, but still some strands) and wheat germ (kind of saw some, not as much time to do that one). I still have a lab table full of stuff to clean off, but it was really fun. Now the 5-6th graders are jealous.

We have a faculty meeting, like, right now. Then I have bible study tonight too, plus I want to get a little more cleaning done. We leave for Camp Omega tomorrow, so I need to pack too. It's going to be a busy night!

No comments:

Post a Comment