Monday, October 22, 2018

Revamping

We had quite the talkative day today... Mondays usually are much chattier. Maybe it was worse today since we're coming off a long weekend? Hmm, I'll have to gather more data.

After getting frustrated at their lack of filling things out completely, I revamped the Writers Workshop Check-in sheet. Instead of writing how they did at the end of the week and goals for next week, we're starting Mondays by writing a goal (or goals) for our writing. Friday we'll assess how we did on our goals. Hopefully making it more concrete will help them know what to write. Other weeks I had it phrased, "how did you improve your writing this week?" and a lot of them didn't pay enough attention to their writing or didn't try to improve, so they wrote 'nothing' or left it blank. Only a few filled it out the way I wanted them to. So we're trying goals.

After school today I worked on a different way to record our Daily 5 rounds for the week. It seems to take so much time every day to write down what everyone wants to do each round. I'm looking for a way to streamline it (or even have them do it before school starts!). I created a flipchart on the smartboard where they can write their rounds in for the day and see what they've been doing throughout the week. We'll try it tomorrow and see how it goes! It's going to take some trial and error, I'm sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment