Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Jello and Projectors

So my projector bulb finally died today. It was a dramatic death. We had just finished correcting DOL on the board (basically editing grammar mistakes in a sentence) and I was giving instructions on what to do next. Suddenly there was a large popping sound and the bulb went out, screen went dark. The fan on the projector hummed loudly for a long time and when I pressed the shut off button, it took a long time to shut down. So. I had to think on the fly how we would do school the rest of the day.

Thankfully we were doing a demonstration/lab thing for 5-6th grade science, the jello plant cell model, and didn't need a projector for that. The 7-8th grade lesson involved the projector though. Mr. E and I ended up switching classrooms for the hour so I could use his technology. He used my whiteboards to teach my kids math.

The IT guys are coming out tonight to give me a loaner projector until they can get a replacement bulb for the new one (a bulb they were supposed to have ordered and replaced last spring). One of my kids asked how we were going to do school without a projector... could we maybe cancel school? Ha. Nope. We're just going to have to pretend we are in the olden days before technology.

It actually wasn't too bad of a day for it to go out.

Lunch was late again today (the stove was out, hence cooking at church again, but we had substitute cooks instead of our normal cook). I took the time to go over the organelles in a cell and what fruit we'd be using in our plant cell model to represent them. The afternoon session of putting the cell together took way longer than usual, but that's the way of this class. We got it done and had a nice long recess. It was super hot today so they didn't actually want to have that long of a recess.

They thought we should go in early and then we could clean up and watch a Youtube video before going home (we've been trying to watch all the Lucas the Spider videos). Good idea! Too late, I remembered we had no way to show it to the whole class... Thankfully, the laptops were working, so I set one up in front of the class and we all huddled around to watch. Eh, could've been worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment