Monday, October 14, 2019

VIPs

Today was our grandparents day, also known as VIP day so kids can have other important people besides grandparents show up and not feel weird that someone besides a grandparent came.

The day starts with VIPs hanging out in classrooms with their student(s). We did religion. I was a little nervous about the lesson because it was called 'why we have so many kinds of churches' and I know some relatives of students aren't Lutheran (and some have had issues with Pastor involving the Lutheran stance on acceptance of other denominations). I think it went okay though. We stayed away from the really controversial stuff.

At 9am we went to the gym for donuts. At 9:15, the BLC jazz band played a selection of songs, mostly Beatles songs in a tribute to an art professor who loves them and is retiring after this year. As per usual, the BLC band was great! Lots of kids bobbed their heads and tapped their feet in time to the music. And of course the adults enjoyed it too. It makes me want to play in a music ensemble again.

The rest of the day was thrown off a little... my class helped the 7-8th graders take down tables and decorations in the gym. People got back to my room at different times, so it was pretty disorderly for a while. Then I met with groups to show them how to play the Work on Writing games. Unfortunately, some of the boys were really loud and distracting in the reading corner while I worked with other groups. I told them to split up and stop playing the game, and they chose to ignore me, so now they don't get to do any games tomorrow.

We had a rock guy come show off his fossils for 7-8th grade class today. They loved it and had a TON of good questions for him. He gave everyone a piece of water lily fossil (there's a much more impressive sounding scientific name, but I don't remember it). He has over 25 five gallon pails of rocks in his collection. He didn't bring them all to school, but he did bring a wide variety. He also did a great job reviewing the three types of rocks and how they're formed. My kids remembered an impressive amount!


No comments:

Post a Comment