Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Spring

Yesterday after school I went for another long walk, this time on the gravel road leading out of town close to my apartment. A surprising number of vehicles passed me as I walked, including our school trustee, who stopped to say hi. I'm glad we bumped into each other because I had a question about my classroom's heat. It quit working again last week and someone came out to fix it. I had heard it was going to be a seven hour fix, yet the professional wasn't here for seven hours. I figured he needed to get a part or something, but since I saw the trustee, I asked just to be sure. Yep. Waiting on a part. So my classroom continues to be chilly for the time being. 

After my walk I puttered around on my porch and before I knew it, I'd taken my container plants out of their winter mulch containers. I love seeing the green buds popping out on my plants. It appears that all my plants survived the winter! Well, my bigger blueberry bush hasn't begun to bud, so I'm skeptical about that one, but the branches are not all bone dry, so there's still hope! I transplanted it into a bigger container with some of the mulch. Maybe that will help. I also swept things, combined my mulch into two containers, dragged them to my garage, and arranged the plants neatly in front of my living room window. 

Some of the mulch is pretty much compost, so I put that in a separate bin. Since my mini compost buckets are nearly full, I thought I'd dump one of them in this new mulch/compost stuff. Surprisingly (to me) a lot of the scraps were well on their way to 'dirt' status. Cool! From the top, it didn't look like it was doing much. So that's one adventure/experiment that turned out well. 

Not being sure how the compost would do in my garage, I left it on my porch for the time being. I might plant some carrots in it. We'll see! I have the seeds!

School today was pretty typical of our new 'normal'. No kids tried April Fools jokes on me. Whew! I forgot what day it was (Wednesday, in case you forgot too) and started class with the 7-8th graders at 12:30 instead of 1:00. They were so confused when I called them all into the virtual classroom! Oops! Probably won't be the last time I do that. It's hard to keep track of the days when you're social distancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment