Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Crusin' in Style

... if it were the early 90s.  I ended up getting a loaner vehicle last night from the Ford dealership, a 96 explorer, greenish with a bright purple stripe down the side.  The windshield wipers only work if you have them on the highest setting and will freeze wherever they are if you turn them any lower.  You have to time it just right to get them to shut off in the normal spot. 


Pastor and his wife helped me jumpstart my car.  We put it in neutral and pushed it out of my garage... it's scary how easy it was to move!  I didn't realize my garage has a slight slope, so we actually had to pull back on it to get it to stop.  Connected the cords... tried to turn it on... nothing.  Tried again... nothing.  After about fifteen minutes of trying, we finally packed it up and I resigned myself to calling a tow truck to haul it in.  And low and behold, when I turned the key to shift it into neutral (to back it up more), my vehicle turned on!  God is good.


I got to the dealership just in time for them to test the charge on the battery.  And it was weak but still good.  So they kept my vehicle for observation last night.  This morning they called to say the car started just fine this morning (of course), so it's probably the starter that's going bad.  They could order a part if I let them know by 10:30... so I called Dad to see what his thoughts were... and he called them to talk over what else it could be... and then Dad called me to tell me what they said... and I called them back to tell them to go ahead and put the starter in.  My fear is that it's not the starter and I'll have put the new one in for nothing.  But Ford said they'd work with me if that happens, so I guess we'll cross that bridge if we get to it.  They said it might be done yet this afternoon, but I haven't gotten a call yet, so I'm not too optimistic. 


Our class reward (watching a movie) took place this morning.  I didn't want to watch Meet the Robinsons, so I came up with a plan... "We can either watch Meet the Robinsons, or we can watch a super secret movie that I picked out... and I'm not going to tell you the title or what it's about.  The only thing I can tell you is that I've never met someone who doesn't like this movie."  So we voted.  I said if anyone peeked, we wouldn't watch the movie today.  And wouldn't you know it! One of the little boogers opened his eyes to see what his classmates were voting!  I was so shocked I said his name and then everyone was dead silent waiting to see if I had been serious or not.  Great.  Do I prove that I am true to my word? Or am I lenient and say we can watch the movie anyway.  The poor kid started crying (mostly because his classmates were glaring daggers at him).  I felt bad.  So I made a deal if they raised their hands and paid super close attention to religion this morning, then we could still watch the movie.  And they did, and we did.  They ended up voting for the super secret movie (Fivel Goes West).  And they liked it.  We didn't pop any popcorn, but they still had a good time.


At noon recess, one of the 5th graders came running up to me, "Miss H! Guess what we found under the bleachers!"  He held out an orange whiteboard marker with a flourish, "A whiteboard marker!"  We're running low on markers, so it's understandable how excited he was... "It can replace that brown one you threw away this morning!"  And he ran right into our classroom to test it out.  He was very glad to tell me it works great!  And he was even more excited when I used it during MN history today.  Sigh.  Once again, God is good.


After school, Mr. E got a text message from the Nicollet principal... school's two hours late tomorrow.  New Ulm hasn't said anything, so as of right now, I report for duty at the normal time.  Not sure why they called it so soon... it's not too breezy right now; I can see all the way to the highway.  Maybe for the cold?  I don't know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment