Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Throwback Tuesday: Civil War

Arn Kind, the Civil War reenactor at MLHS, was AMAZING!  He was funny and told such good stories... even my squirreliest students were riveted.  Did you know the Civil War was the bloodiest war in American history?  More American lives were lost in this war than in all the other wars America has fought combined (620,000).  And a good portion of those deaths was from illness, not battle.


He taught us about the lives of soldiers, their love of music, why they'd want to sign up in the first place, and what kinds of uniforms they wore.  Arn has participated as a reenactor for the past three years.  He can play the harmonica, bugle, and drum.  I kept thinking of my brother Ethan as Arn presented... this stuff is right up his alley. 


Driving Mr. D's car was fine.  I was a little nervous about it, especially since he said, "Oh, you're going to MLHS, not MVL?" He thought our field trip was at a school 15 minutes away, not the actual 50 minutes away.  Then that made me nervous and I felt bad that I was forcing him into volunteering...  Anyway.  Over and done with.  We made it in once piece, no problems.  Okay, I take it back.  This morning we were short one seat.  The guy who said he could take 8 people could actually only fit 7.  If I'd been driving my normal car, it wouldn't have been a problem.  We ended up squishing and made it right on time for the program.


On the ride back, I heard the boys whispering behind me as I was driving.  "No you ask her... no, you ask her! Okay, best out of three... Hey Miss H, how old were you when you found out Santa wasn't real?"  Pretty soon it was "How old were you when your parents told you the Easter Bunny wasn't real?"  They were a little disappointed I never believed in them at all (or that my parents didn't teach us they were real).


Well, I have to close for today.  Mrs. B is giving me a ride to Mankato to pick up my car and she has to pick up her daughter from daycare beforehand.  So, off we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment