Monday, January 26, 2015

Dropping Eggs

We examined our science experiment today.  Our control was still, well, normal, as expected.  The 75% water container had the thickest barrier and a little crescent of shell on one end (the end that had been sticking up from the solution).  The other three were completely squishy and had no shell, just that membrane layer on the inside of eggs.  I dug them out of the beakers so the class could feel them.  And then it slipped through my fingers, bounced on the table, and bounced to the floor... splat.  All over.  Good thing there's tiling under the lab table!


Then they wanted to see if the other eggs would bounce.  We tried the middle egg sample.  That one bounced really well on the table.  "Can we try dropping it on the floor?"  Their eager faces beamed up at me... oh why not.  So I dropped it from about three feet up in the air.  It didn't survive.  One of the 5th graders cleaned it up without me asking him to. 


Our first day of editing NaNo stories went well.  I let them read part of the novel I wrote a while ago, The Adventures of Random Man and La Roca Loca.  They like it and had some constructive criticism for me.  We went over how to write good, constructive criticism and then they wrote their thoughts on a copy of the first page of my novel.  I'm interested to see what they wrote!  Now I need to assign them editing partners.  I want to match them up by skill-level/length of stories.  Some kids wrote a lot and others didn't write much. 


This afternoon I'm taking my car in to get checked out.  The ABS light went on this weekend and the 4x4 high light keeps flashing.  It could be as simple as the sensor or it could be as bad as the wheel bearing being loose.  And it takes longer than an hour to test all this stuff, so in order for me to take it to the mechanic I want to (in Mankato), I have to drop it off the night before.  But what car will I drive?  Well, if I were 25, I could get a loaner/rental car.  But that's still three months away.  So I'm kind of stuck.  Thankfully, Mr. D offered to give me a ride home from Mankato this afternoon and a ride to school tomorrow and is going to loan me his car for the field trip tomorrow.  So now I'll just need a ride back to the shop once my car is fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment