Thursday, January 22, 2015

Eggs and Vinegar

We finally got our science experiment set up.  It didn't take long to finish writing the procedure for our experiment... Five containers filled with varying percentages of water/vinegar.  One beaker has 100% vinegar and our control has 100% water.  The middle three have 75/25, 50/50, and 25/75.  We'll leave the eggs in the liquids for 5 days (so we don't have to worry about them over the weekend).


I tried to find a job for each student to do for setup... it's hard to find something for 13 people to do!  Some got cool jobs like measuring the amount of water/vinegar or taking the "before" pictures of the eggs next to a ruler (just in case the size changes).  Others got sort of lame jobs like holding the eggs in place for the photographer or dumping out the liquids after the experiment is over.  Five students got to be the "egg droppers" and drop the egg into the beaker of liquid.


Right away they noticed that the ones with more vinegar had more bubbles gathering on the eggs... the one with water didn't have any bubbles on the egg.  Chemical reaction anyone?  I told them they need to keep daily observations in a journal to practice for when they do their own science project. 


The 1st and 2nd grade teacher has been having a rough couple of days.  She forgot about our NLSW meeting after school yesterday, her class has been acting up/not listening (mine too, for that matter), and this morning she slept through her alarm and woke up ten minutes before she was supposed to leave for work.  To top it off (not that she knows about this yet), the 8th graders and most of the boys in my class are mad at her for taking too long to go to lunch.  There's usually a huge gap between when the kindergartners are finished getting their lunch and when the 1st-2nd graders go.  The upper grades are all worked up about it because it's pushing our lunch times back as well which pushes back recess time too... basically, the 1st and 2nd graders are sucking away our noon recess time.  And they want me to talk to her about it.  There were a couple times this week I just about said something, but she's got so much else not-so-good things, I think adding one more complaint/not-so-good thing on her plate will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.  I tell you, for not having school on Monday, this week has been a really long week. 


But tomorrow is finally Friday!  The student council decided we should have an all-school activity tomorrow afternoon, so now I don't have to plan art.  Each teacher is going to lead a game in her classroom and the kids are going to rotate.  My game is "thumbs up, 7-up".  The 8th graders are going to take their spelling test, look at microscope slides, and set up for bells at church since we play on Sunday.  I found out after school today that one student will not be here.  Great.  I wish she would've told me sooner.  Now we only have one day to get someone else to pick up her part of the song.  Thankfully she only plays one bell and the boy next to her only plays one bell too.  Hopefully he can pick it up without too much trouble.  Ugh.  Stress.


More basketball games after school today, cheerleading as well.  The cheerleaders were just not that peppy tonight.  It was like pulling teeth!  Well, the one girl was super into cheering.  I had another cheerer who hurt her ankle at recess, but she still cheered pretty loud.  One girl refused to cheer and got sad and started crying (probably because I wouldn't let her stand so close to the gym doors) and went to go sit with her parents.  Another girl was tired and hungry and pouted because she didn't get to pick all the cheers we did.  But she still stuck with it.  And everyone (again) commented how cute they are.  So I suppose it went all right. 


The B squad girls lost by a lot, the B squad boys won by a lot.  The A girls lost in a close game, and the A boys are playing right now.  I think I'm going to go home before the game is over... it's my night for correcting, and I'm getting really hungry!  Normally, I keep a sleeve of crackers in my desk for snack, but I ran out earlier this week and haven't replenished (5th grade spelling word!) my supply.  All I have is chocolate... an awful predicament, I know, but seriously, sometimes chocolate just doesn't have the substance a cracker does.

No comments:

Post a Comment