Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Holes

Full disclosure, there are MAJOR spoilers for the book/movie Holes, so don't read this post if you haven't seen/read it but want to. 

We watched the movie Holes today. It was the most fun I've had watching the movie with a class. I think the movie is pretty close to the book (with the exception of how thin the movie Stanley is... in the book he's very fat. It's a plot point.). My kids thought the movie was totally different. I'm amazed how many little details from the book they are able to remember!!! 

We got to the part in the movie where *spoiler alert* Kissin' Kate dies and the yellow spotted lizard bites her on the arm instead of the ankle. Cries of outrage! When the boys are supposed to sneak back into camp in the dark and sleep in a hole until it gets a little light (book), the movie has lots of lights and the sky looks like dawn. More outraged students! And don't get me started on the scene where they uncover the treasure... My kids talked over the movie, listing all the ways the movie was inaccurate. 

Before we started the movie, I had thought about making a chart on the board to list similarities and differences. I'm glad I didn't! They were much happier just spewing them out as we went along, and I got the same information about how much they remember from the book. Win win!

No comments:

Post a Comment