Tuesday, March 10, 2020

YWAC

No school yesterday and today was a field trip... Tomorrow is our first day of actual school and the week is half over! Well, technically not, since the Fine Arts Fair is Saturday and that counts as a day of school.

I had two students bring in their science fair boards already. One forgot his written report, but there's still time to get that done before I bring them down Saturday morning. Another mom dropped one off before the PTL meeting. I heard her and another parent commiserating how much they hate science fair projects. That makes me sad. I don't know what else I can do to make the process better. I guess I could get rid of the project entirely...

Our field trip today went well. We had a ton of parent drivers, which ended up being a good thing since two backed out at the last minute. We were able to swap them into different cars and still have some room to spare.

I went to the first session with my group of typically rowdy boys. They did origami and we're surprisingly well behaved and quiet. I thought they'd be the same in the next session (metal drawing art), so I went to a session about publishing on Amazon with some of my girls. Yeah, I probably should've stuck with the boys. The 7-8th graders were taking that class too and there were so many of our students, they felt too comfortable and picked at each other. There were even three of our parent chaperones there! I'm not sure if I would've made a difference or not.

The last session I went to was about natural dyes. That was cool, although the presenter didn't let me do it because of supplies. She had various fruits and vegetables- spinach, blueberries, cherries, red onion, red cabbage- that they got to squeeze onto a white bandana, kind of like tie dye. They put the dyed cloth in a ziplock bag with 3T of vinegar and a penny. Leave it in for 7 days to set the dye. The second activity was with koolaid drink mix. You mix it with 1T of water, then add 1/8tsp oil and 1/4tsp spy lecithin. Pour some on a folded paper towel and presto! Instant stamp pad! I used paper from my folder and did some stamping with the dye my student made. I was only with one because her partner (who had signed up for every class with her) got back late from a trip and didn't end up coming on the field trip. So she was all alone during the day and felt a little lonely.

After the trip, the Immanuelites, aka ladies aid of our congregation, served us supper before the PTL meeting. I'm glad they did! The meeting itself wasn't long, but I had so many people to talk to afterwards, I got home kind of late. And it's snowing! And sticking to the roads! That made my drive home a little slow...

No comments:

Post a Comment